January First Grade Update
Happy New Year and welcome back!
Thank you again for the generous holiday gift! We truly appreciate it.
Here are some of the things that we will be learning this month:
- To read new high-frequency words
- To improve our story comprehension skills
- To continue making text-to-self and text-to-text connections
- To build our visualization skills
- To write realistic fiction stories
- To write interesting sentences with details
- To have a better understanding of what the setting of a story is and to discuss the other story elements
- To compare and contrast characters in a story and really understand a character’s feelings
- ABC Order
- To introduce the study of nouns and verbs
- The –ed and –ing endings
- To count syllables in words
- About place value
- About compound words
- About Martin Luther King Jr.
In social studies we will be studying families and communities around us. We will look at what makes up a community and all the people we find in different communities. At the end of the month we will begin our next unit in science.
In math, we will be beginning our study of Unit 5 very soon. We will be focusing our study on place value and comparing numbers. Please continue to review addition and subtraction facts at home with your child as well. Please remember to read the newsletter that corresponds with our Everyday Math Program at the beginning of each unit. Your child is coming home with a laminated number grid to keep at home to aid with math homework. It will be very useful for tonight’s homework and any future homework. We have been learning how to use a number grid to find 10 more and 10 less in class. Please keep this number grid at home in a handy spot for homework!
Best wishes to all for peace, good health and happiness in the new year!!
Happy New Year 2017!